Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fun Finds Us

Things have been a little restricted around here in terms of what we can do and where we can go. But, somehow fun always finds us. The girls always have ideas of activities they can do...although they aren't always practical :)

Since Justin had gotten behind with some of his lawn clients, we have had to spend a few nights without him. Not to worry. Our new girls' night tradition is movie night. The girls are on a popcorn kick. They wouldn't mind eating it four or five times a day, so I've reserved it for snack time and movie night. And, movie night it extra special because they actually get to eat AND drink in the living room...note the spill-proof sippy cups below.

We've managed to keep busy these last few weeks home. I've had time with the girls that I've lacked in months past, even before Laura Kate's illness. Being confined has forced me to exercise more patience. I have to close my mouth and open my ears a little more, which is something we have to tell the girls sometimes :) I believe it's brought the girls even closer together. Of course the still argue some, but I think they value the time they have together a little more. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it :) I've found such joy in just observing the girls individually as well as together. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Anna is getting so big! Not only physically, but mentally as well. She never ceases to amaze. She expresses the most creative thoughts. Her imagination never switches off. And her singing has picked back up. I would love to get her into some kind of music or voice lessons when she's the right age. I would like to encourage her to pursue her interests as much as possible. She's such a ham!
Laura Kate is also blossoming. It's amazing how different the girls personalities are. Laura Kate is still a laid back, go with the flow kind of kid. She'd just a soon sit quietly by herself, reading a book, as she would be the center of attention and have a rip roarin' time. Her imagination is almost the caliber of Anna's, and she's acquired her sister's desire to sing and dance. But, I see Anna more as our performer and Laura Kate as our bookworm :)

I just can't imagine being anywhere else right now. I've not only learned more about children than I ever would have as a teacher, but I've learned a great deal about myself. I think of everything I would have missed working, and tears come to my eyes. I've been so blessed staying home with them. The Lord has confirmed time and time again that this is what He wants for our family. Yet, I fear I've squandered a good deal of that time, and I have only one year left with Anna! It's hard to believe she'll be five soon. But, I can't dwell on the mistakes and wasted moments. I just have to keep moving forward and make every minute of the next 11 months count :)

4 comments:

Michael and Adriana said...

So true, so true, so true!! I have been thinking about Sully starting school next year and how hard that is going to be for me. I have enjoyed and treasured all the precious moments I have been able to spend with the boys and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I have had several people ask me if Sully is in Pre-K, etc. and have actually felt guilty at times because they almost make me feel like he is missing out on something by staying at home with me. But, I think back to my childhood....I stayed at home with my mom until Kindergarten and wouldn't change that for anything. I truly think, like you, that what we're doing is right for our family....and I feel so blessed to be able to spend so much time with both of them!

Brett, Julz, and Emma said...

wow, Justin and Keri! So glad to get a little caught up. We were/are praying for you and your family. We were staying a bit informed from the daily email, but hadn't heard anything in a while and then I found your blog. We are thankful with you that things are improving! Thank you for the ways that your family invested in ours. We love y'all!

Kelly said...

Keri,
So glad to read about your girls, and see pics!! Gosh, i still remember the day you told us you were pregnant with Anna, and then soon after with Laura Kate! Fun memories. So, how long does LK have to be "away" from others. I mean, what does it really consist of, like does she have to stay home really all the time, can people come see her?? Just wondering how that really worked. Keep posting, it's always good to hear from you.
Kelly

Wachsmann Family said...

Such sweet pictures of the girls! BTW, cute outfits you put them in! :)

I am kind of in the same boat with you on the school thing. I can't believe Kara will be starting K next year. I have enjoyed every moment at home with all 3 of mine and was so blessed to stay home for them.

I have felt kind of "behind" when others say they have their kids in pre-K, but 1) we don't want to pay for it and 2)they will be in school long enough as it is, why not let them stay home as long as possible.